Sunday, February 22, 2009

Another snowy day

Finally, our winter break arrived at the end of the school day last Friday. All of my students seemed eager to leave the classrooms and the campus as soon as the bell rang. It took me almost 3 hours before I could go home. Luckily, but sad, I didn't have to take the girls home. Maya came down with cold and flu-like symptoms. Vicki was working from home. So, she picked up Melanie directly from her school instead of having to walk all the way from her school to my office in the science department. Still I had to meet a few students during the conference period before going to Jack Cumming's thank you party for the faculty members and staffs who work for the resident program. Again I was the first to get to his associated head master's house which is adjacent to the head master's white house. Jack was thrilled when I told him, Elizabeth Calvin (the grand daughter of Melvin Calvin, who discovered the Calvin Cycle) received 82 in my Accelerated Chemistry class. "Patient is the key," he told me when Elizabeth first came to my class. She is a bright young woman who accepts responsibility.

After Jack, I went back to the science office, to pick up the 4 dinners I ordered from Mr. Prevoust's caulinary class. I wanted to share two with Mr. Conte, but my bag was falling aparts. I ended up keeping all. He is always joking around with me too much. He told Barbara and his secretary that I wanted to get rid of my left-over trash with him. He gave me a plastic bag to help hold on to the food. Then, I went to the dorm to tell Austin that Mr. Cumming wanted him to sit with a mother and her twin sons on the way to the airport. Jack told me to tell him, if he doesn't do a good job, he "will kick his buts." I also remind Mr. Mold and Mr. Dussault that I would be picking up Yuan the next day instead of Friday as I had planned with him. I just had to many things and engagements to attend. Vicki and I were also invited to attend a dinner at Hyonby and Tom Wales on Friday. I e-mailed Hyon that Vicki and I would be late. We would be able to get there until 6:30pm. By the time I got home it was almost 5:45pm. Maya had been very sick at home. Poor Maya. I gave her some medication and asked her to rest and drink plenty of juice.

I shaved and took a quick shower before Vicki and I went to Hyonby and Tom Wales. They live in a mansion in the town, which they purchased 2 years ago after selling their house in New York. Like many people in Saint Johnsbury, they move here because of the Academy. They had invited a few of the people they met for the gathering. It was very nice of them to do this. The foods were accellent, and the people there were wonderful. Through tennis I met Hyonby at the club.

Melanie and I started Saturday by playing tennis with Richard and Josh Smith. They were getting ready to leave for their Hunduras trip with their church. Then, we went to the Barn to pick up Yuan. He is homestay with us during this winter break. He is a nice and quiet boy from Taiwan. His father is a medical doctor. He talks more about his mother who has inspired him to his faith in Jesus. He closes his eyes and praises before he eats everytime. He is also my mentee at the dorm. He loves tennis although he is not very good in it. With more patient, like Jack said, I should be able to help him improved in the game.

Yuan and I went to the Price Chopper to get some food supplies. We ran into Don Bredes and Denis Camille (sp). Denis is a special aid teacher at the Academy. After paying for the grocery, I mentioned to him, "Everything is so expensive." He answered by asking, "What are not expensive?" I couldn't give him the answer. He said, "Jokes are not expensive as well as friendship." You're right, Mr. Camille. He is a wonderful guy. He is very good in jokes.

It has been good to have him in our house. For the first time since we bought the house, we have someone else sleeping overnight. I put Yuan in my office downstair. Like Maya he is sick with cold and flu-like symptoms. I've been treating them with Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom and plenty of juice and soup. They seem to fell better today. For the first time this afternoon, Maya was up and came down from her bed, to share a huge meal Vicki had prepared for us after I went to the church.

Speaking of the church, God has forgiven our sins according to the readings. My sins would be forgiven as well. Like most people in the United States and around the workld, our church is going through a rough time. The finance committee chair asked us to look at our life and see if there is anyway we can do give more to the church. He said if we can give up a cup of coffee, and give this expense to the church, that would be very helpful. I will give up beer and wine and EtOH starting wednesday for this purpose and to help my older sister Boun in Laos. I have also signed up for the Adoration every Sunday from 7-8:00am. I need to start studying for my USMLEs. With God's blessing and strength, I know I will pass all of the steps, find a residency and be come a certified physician in 4 years. I'll be 52 years old. Time flies. It seems to fly by so fast lately.

This is my inner voice tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment