Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The end of the day before a new lent

I told my student, Yuan is also my mentee. He is homestay with us this week for the winter break. Lent is the time to recall what Jesus had done for us. As a Catholic we give up a certain thing which we like or enjoy, and use this expense for God either by giving it to our church, or use it help the poors. Yuan said in Taiwan, they don't give money to the poors because they're afraid they will spend it on alcohol and drugs, etc. Instead, they would give foods, clothes and services to the poors. This makes sense, I thought.

"My lent offering is to give up beer and wine completely," I told Yuan. I will use this money for my church because of the heating cost this winter along with the difficult economy not only in Saint Johnsbury, but through out the United States and the world. Also, I will send part of the money to send to my sister in Laos. She is one of the poorest of the poors in this universe. Thus, I must care for her. She is my older sister. She didn't go to school in order to care for us when we were still living in our jungle villages in Laos.

This is my daily inner voice

No comments:

Post a Comment