Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sheffield, Vermont

I once was in Sheffield, Vermont
with my little daughter and a beautiful wife
My neighbors were Done Stone and his wife Helen
After two unsuccessful attempts of the first semesters at St. George's University School of Medicine in Greneda, West Indies
My wife and I decided to buy an ran-down old farm house from a guy from New York City
His Asian wife had died recently of a mysterious illness
He bought the house and land being told it was an 80 acres piece
Instead it was only 40 acres
It was dear's first real estate property
It was my fifth
I could have just settled in Sheffield, Vermont
Where I wrote endless poetry
Where I walked my little daughter into the woods
Only to find a little crying kitten
We called him, "Cocoa."
Where I used to take my wife and daughter in town
Only to find a dog that needed to be adopted
We called him, "Smoky."
Hired men we had
Two men to fix our foundation, Mr. Broom in charge
An electrician, Mr. White, to wire our electricity
Across the lawn and wetland was an American man name Dick or Rich
He gave me a deer's leg that tasted like a human's grace
Now and then the gun shots would go off
Dick or Rich would give me a call
from his trailer across the protected wetland
Across Route 122 was another Stone
A younger Stone with full ambitious
He was a little Vermont man with hundreds tractors
Two of his sons broke our house afterward
When the fire fell out, they all came to rescue
Sheffield, Vermont is in the frontier of the USA
Dancing left-over hippies with a world renounced symphony man
Town hall......
This is my inner voice

No comments:

Post a Comment